梅萨神庙的历史

After being closed for more than three years of renovations, the Mesa Arizona Temple will be rededicated Dec. 12, 2021, by President Dallin H. Oaks, first counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The temple will reopen shortly following the rededication.

The temple, originally dedicated in 1927 by President Heber J. Grant, is the 7th of 160 operating temples of the Church and its massive structure dominated Mesa’s skyline for decades, often being referred to as a “sermon in stone.”

自开业以来,来自世界各地的游客因其美丽和宗教意义而来到这个圣地。教会成员聚集在寺庙内进行神圣的宗教仪式,使他们更接近上帝,而游客则可以参观寺庙场地并享受游客中心。

每年举行的两个受欢迎的活动为寺庙带来了更多的游客: 梅萨复活节选美大赛圣殿花园圣诞灯饰展示.这些活动将在寺庙再次开放后恢复。

自从第一批教会成员开始在该地区定居以来,由杨百翰 (Brigham Young) 派遣以努力在西方进行殖民,教会的虔诚成员就渴望有一座寺庙来接受神圣的教仪。最近的寺庙在犹他州的圣乔治,这让希望在那里结婚的年轻夫妇乘坐马车旅行,这条人迹罕至的小路被称为“蜜月小径”。

奉献

1919 年,教会主席 Heber J. Grant 宣布 Mesa 将成为亚利桑那州第一座寺庙的所在地,1922 年,一块 20 英亩的土地被打破,与 Main Street、Hobson、First Avenue 和 LeSueur 接壤。设计灵感来自耶路撒冷的所罗门圣殿。

The temple’s dedication in 1927 was a four-day event and newspapers across the country reported on it, stating that “5,000 of the faith and 5,000 of the friendly” attended the first day’s gathering, and, on the second day, a choir of 300 Arizonans, including Native Americans and Hispanics, gave a public concert on the temple roof of “simple thanks and praise.”

这座寺庙于 1927 年开放后,迅速成为社区的中心和所有居民的聚集地。

1974年装修

1974 年,这座寺庙在为亚利桑那州的圣徒以及远至佛罗里达州和墨西哥大部分地区的一些邻近的南部州服务了 47 年之后关闭进行翻修。修缮完成后,寺庙对外开放两周,参观人数超过20万人次。

1975 年 4 月,教会会长斯宾塞·甘博 (Spencer W. Kimball) 进行了历史性的重新奉献,因为这是第一次向公众重新开放并重新奉献的寺庙。

2018年装修

2018 年,在教会主席罗素·纳尔逊 (Russell M. Nelson) 的指导下,教会官员宣布亚利桑那州梅萨圣殿将关闭,以对建筑物和周围场地进行重大翻新。为期三年的项目结束后,将于 10 月 16 日星期六至 11 月 20 日星期六(星期日除外)举行一次公共开放日,该圣殿将于 12 月 12 日星期日由达林·H·奥克斯总统重新奉献,首先总会会长团咨理兼耶稣基督后期圣徒教会十二使徒定额组主席。