梅薩神廟的歷史

After being closed for more than three years of renovations, the Mesa Arizona Temple will be rededicated Dec. 12, 2021, by President Dallin H. Oaks, first counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The temple will reopen shortly following the rededication.

The temple, originally dedicated in 1927 by President Heber J. Grant, is the 7th of 160 operating temples of the Church and its massive structure dominated Mesa’s skyline for decades, often being referred to as a “sermon in stone.”

自開業以來,來自世界各地的遊客因其美麗和宗教意義而來到這個聖地。教會成員聚集在寺廟內進行神聖的宗教儀式,使他們更接近上帝,而遊客則可以參觀寺廟場地並享受遊客中心。

每年舉行的兩個受歡迎的活動為寺廟帶來了更多的遊客: 梅薩復活節選美大賽聖殿花園聖誕燈飾展示.這些活動將在寺廟再次開放後恢復。

自從第一批教會成員開始在該地區定居以來,由楊百翰 (Brigham Young) 派遣以努力在西方進行殖民,教會的虔誠成員就渴望有一座寺廟來接受神聖的教儀。最近的寺廟在猶他州的聖喬治,這讓希望在那裡結婚的年輕夫婦乘坐馬車旅行,這條人跡罕至的小路被稱為“蜜月小徑”。

奉獻

1919 年,教會主席 Heber J. Grant 宣布 Mesa 將成為亞利桑那州第一座寺廟的所在地,1922 年,一塊 20 英畝的土地被打破,與 Main Street、Hobson、First Avenue 和 LeSueur 接壤。設計靈感來自耶路撒冷的所羅門聖殿。

The temple’s dedication in 1927 was a four-day event and newspapers across the country reported on it, stating that “5,000 of the faith and 5,000 of the friendly” attended the first day’s gathering, and, on the second day, a choir of 300 Arizonans, including Native Americans and Hispanics, gave a public concert on the temple roof of “simple thanks and praise.”

這座寺廟於 1927 年開放後,迅速成為社區的中心和所有居民的聚集地。

1974年裝修

1974 年,這座寺廟在為亞利桑那州的聖徒以及遠至佛羅里達州和墨西哥大部分地區的一些鄰近的南部州服務了 47 年之後關閉進行翻修。修繕完成後,寺廟對外開放兩週,參觀人數超過20萬人次。

1975 年 4 月,教會會長斯賓塞·甘博 (Spencer W. Kimball) 進行了歷史性的重新奉獻,因為這是第一次向公眾重新開放並重新奉獻的寺廟。

2018年裝修

2018 年,在教會主席羅素·納爾遜 (Russell M. Nelson) 的指導下,教會官員宣布亞利桑那州梅薩聖殿將關閉,以對建築物和周圍場地進行重大翻新。為期三年的項目結束後,將於 10 月 16 日星期六至 11 月 20 日星期六(星期日除外)舉行一次公共開放日,該聖殿將於 12 月 12 日星期日由達林·H·奧克斯總統重新奉獻,首先總會會長團諮理兼耶穌基督後期聖徒教會十二使徒定額組主席。